MAT exam preparation tips
Generally, most of the students have fear of “How to crack MAT exam in the first attempt?” So, to crack any competitive exam one shouldn’t have any fear; always be with a positive mindset and concentrate on the fundamentals. Before going for the preparation tips let us have a quick introduction about the MAT exam. As most of the students are aware that the Center Of Management Services, a unit of All India Management Association (AIMA) conducts the Management Aptitude Test commonly known as MAT. The AIMA is an apex body formed in league with local management associations and in the support from industry and Indian government.
Annually MAT exam is conducted four times, i.e in the month of February, May, September and December to screen the candidates. The tests are conducted in any format i.e Paper Based Test(PBT) and Computer Based Test(CBT). These results are considered as an entry level to get admission in B-schools or deemed universities to do PGDM or MBA. The main purpose of the AIMA is to develop and facilitate management as a profession in the country.
General Tips to crack MAT exam:
General tips on how one should be prepared during the exam.
1. Be aware of negative marking: One mark is given for the right answer and 0.25 marks are deducted for the wrong answer. For four wrong answers, one mark is deducted. So, don’t be in a hurry will solving the paper.
2. Calm and cool: Stay calm in the examination hall i.e before you start the exam.
3. Confident: Just be confident i.e I can crack the MAT exam.
4. Time Management: For each and every section time is allocated to you, based upon your strength you need to plan accordingly and manage your valuable time.
5. Shortcut tricks: While you are solving quantitative aptitude and reasoning apply shortcut tricks to solve the problems and reduce the time in solving the problems.
Topics: Topic wise tips i.e how to crack MAT or how to prepare for MAT exam without coaching. Subjects which need to prepare for the MAT 2020 exam are:
- Language Comprehension
- Mathematical Skills
- Data Analysis and Sufficiency
- Intelligence and Critical Reasoning
- Indian and Global Environment
Subject wise tips to crack MAT exam:
I. Language Comprehension:
1. The simple tip to score well in this subject is to read newspapers, articles, magazines and watch English movies to get a good command of English.
2. Out of 40 questions, 10 questions are supposed to be based on vocabulary comprising synonyms-antonyms, jumbled words and fill in the blanks. The other questions are based on comprehension passages, jumbled paragraphs and core grammar usage.
3. Don’t spend too much time on this section if you are good in English, you can score well in this paper. Just move on to the next papers by balancing your preparation time.
II. Mathematical Skills:
1. For this subject, one has to be strong in basic fundamentals and formulas. Every now and then quick revision is required for this subject (the only practice makes perfect and boost your confidence levels).
2. Use shortcut tricks if it is applicable to the problem in order to save your valuable time in the examination hall.
3. Increase the number of solving the problems by setting a stopwatch to increase your speed.
4. If you stuck in the middle while solving the problems just move on to the next question without wasting time.
5. Try to practice topics related to ratios, profit and loss, SI and CI, problems on ages etc.
III. Data Analysis and Sufficiency:
1. Data analysis and sufficiency is the scoring subject among all the subjects. Try to focus on and understand the question.
2. Try to solve different types of question which are related to data analysis such as pie chart, line graph, bar graph and in the form of tables.
3. Solve previous year papers to increase your speed and to get an idea on various types of questions.
IV. Intelligence and Critical Reasoning:
1. For reasoning, section solve the problems by applying shortcut tricks and methods which are applicable.
2. The time allocated for this section is 30 minutes so be quick and smart to answer the questions. Answer the question which you are confident about them.
3. Please do remember the directions (East, West, North and South) and try to imagine the 3D objects.
4. Solve various model papers to improve your efficiency.
V. Indian and Global Environment
1. To remember the current affairs for a long period of time watch daily current affairs on youtube. Once you watch a video, the human brain has the capacity to remember for a long period of time.
2. Read the newspaper and the topics which are related to the Indian government, business, global updates and sports.