How to prepare for group discussion?
A group discussion is a group of individuals, gather at one place in the form of a circle with similar interest to share the ideas, solve problems or give comments. In simple terms, a group discussion is well known as GD. Generally, the group discussions are performed to assess the skill set of a person which includes communication skills, leadership skills, managing skills, team building skills, social skills, problem-solving skills and presence of mind. At last, the rating is given on a scale of 1 to 10.
Why GD became mandatory?
Before GD the candidate has to undergo the written exam which covers different subject levels such as quantitative aptitude, logical reasoning, general English and computer-based questions. Based on the cut-off, after qualifying the first round the candidate has to undergo the second round i.e group discussion. Group discussion became mandatory to filter the candidate’s soft skills and whether the candidate has the ability to cope up with different scenarios.
Who conducts a group discussion?
Generally, group discussion is conducted by large bodies such as universities, top-rated b-schools, management institutions & colleges and even by MNC’s. To get admission in top B-schools GD round is one of the most important & crucial rounds. This round is conducted to analyze the skills from different parameters and to select the right candidate for the right position so that it meets the company’s requirement.
Why do students fail to perform well in GD?
In today’s scenario most of the students fail to perform well in a group discussion because of the below three
1. Due to the fear of speaking in public.
2. Lack of knowledge on the topic.
3. No proper command on language.
The process followed in GD:
In any B-schools or MNC’s, the selectors will select the students randomly based on the number. For a group usually, 8-10 members were selected. A topic is given and around 3-5 minutes of time is given to prepare. The duration of the discussion is based on the group, topic, college to college and organization to organization. Only on a few parameters, the assessment is done. The parameters such as content, supporting others point, giving relevant examples, latest updates or news, eye-contact, conclusion and behavioral traits.
There is no secret or any rules for preparing GD. Before going for GD one has to consider a few points.
1. Be up-to-date on the latest information such as news and trending topics in the market.
2. Make a habit of reading newspapers, books and magazines so that in-detail information is provided.
3. The simple way to remember the content for a longer period is to watch videos for 2-3 times.
4. Later on, select a topic and speak for yourself in front of the mirror. (Make assessment for yourself).
5. Even be aware of different topics such as sports, political news, technology news, economics and market-related news.
How to perform GD?
When a topic is given just think over it; under which category the topic is. It might be related to life, current affairs, technology, political news and any other trending topic in the market. So, think about the topic and frame the sentence in your own words to speak. When you are speaking you need to agree or disagree with the other points and you need to give a proper reason to it. But, don’t deviate/ mislead from the topic. Make others also speak & give chance to them to put the points into the discussion.
For suppose if you are leading the group:
1. Introduce yourself & give a brief note on the topic.
2. Make a start on a positive note.
3. Discuss the pros and cons of the topic and how to overcome them.
4. Make everyone speak.
5. Support other points.
6. If the group members are deviating from the topic it is your responsibility to bring them back.
As you are leading the group you need to conclude by summarizing all the points which were discussed.
Few tips for GD:
1. Grooming (appearance)
2. Be a good listener & support or add to the other points. (But don’t interrupt in middle)
3. Speak loudly and clearly.
4. Try to be the first and the last speaker of the discussion.
5. Be confident while speaking (analyze with numbers if you know & it has to be fact).
If you follow this procedure then definitely you will be selected for GD and now you are eligible for the next round.
Download: How to prepare for group discussion PDF
Making Management in VUCA World (Published in Hindu Education Plus) Never in the…
Management Skills: How can you build your own? A recent Gallup’s study states that 82%…
Scope & its career opportunities in PGDM Entrepreneurship Development In today’s world, we…